So no more personal Alias name in email allowed?

We used to be able to create our own Alias Email address in iCloud/ .Mac/ .Me

What happened to it?

I'm still using an alias that I created myself from about 14 years ago, that thankfully got transferred into this new OS iCloud, so I got to keep it, as it counts as one of my addresses.

But I guess we can no longer create our own? I tried, but it wouldn't let me.

Also, I have been in contact with Apple for a while now, but a dead Alias, one that I created, used, and then deleted, is STILL getting emails sent to that address even though as an Alias, it should not exist and the sender should be getting it bounced back to them. Anybody else have this weird problem? I mean I deleted the thing 15 years ago and sometimes I would still get an email getting through to me addressed to that Alias.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 30, 2024 11:05 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 31, 2024 12:12 AM in response to 24Golfer

Re: "So no more personal Alias name in email allowed?"

Wondering if Apple support's online articles can assist:

Seems you can create up to three iCloud email aliases:

An e-mail alias can be created, turned off, turned on, or deleted.

Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

More info: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

Apr 17, 2024 12:35 PM in response to brbo

Thanks, yup, got it.

I was looking at the iCloud IDs which lists "aliases" added from the main Email address name for the account, as opposed to going into the Mail app section to go to add Alias addresses in Mail. Very, utterly, and totally confusing, and this is where the iCloud system is broken, I think.

And this is probably why I continue to receive email addressed to me to an Alias that I created within Mail that I deleted, turned off, or eased or whatever you call it. It's really annoying, it continues to happen to an email alias deleted over a decade ago.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2024 7:01 PM in response to 24Golfer

Wondering where those persistent eMails are coming from ... if Apple is still using that alias, where might it be still listed ... eg: in Contacts or as one of your Apple ID addresses ... listed for use in FaceTime contacts, or in Messages contacts etc., and I expect Apple would have checked those out with you already.

Also you would likely have informed anyone else sending emails to that alias address about the change years ago.

Wondering if your email provider (Google, Yahoo, etc.) still has that alias listed somewhere, because eMails sent to it are allowed to get through to you. Generally, a deleted alias address could not receive eMail, and the mail would return to sender so they would be notified.

May 17, 2024 11:57 PM in response to brbo

Well, for a start, it's an Alias WITHIN MobileMe, that's when it started, before iCloud, and then in iCloud, it continued to have this Alias option in MAIL, or Mail app, you can still see it there, separate from the Alias in iCloud ACCOUNT that it creates on its own, the ALIAS MAIL address is one that you can STILL create yourself, any name, any "@icloud.com" now, rather than the @ME or @MAC that we used to have as options.

It's not Yahoo or Google, I never used them. I've been Apple since 1998, and that's how it all started when MobileMe came along.

So, I created an Alias, and then I DELETED it, but, to this day, even just yesterday, I got an email addressed to that ALIAS that should not exist at all, so the sender should actually see it bounce back to them when they send it, but it goes through to me, sometimes in the Inbox, but mostly into the Junk, but I see it!

That's why I ask, I contacted Apple 4 times about this, and the 3rd time they told me it was all resolved, but I received emails anyway. So I called again, and they were suppose to get back to me, but they have ignored me since. It's been 3 months, again.

I think, they know there's a glitch, and they don't know how to fix it, and that there is a flaw with iCloud, and UNTIL the next big huge iOS and MacOS update beyond what iCloud is, they probably won't patch it.

So until then, I am stuck with receiving emails to an address that should not exist

So no more personal Alias name in email allowed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.