Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

iPad Pro 11inch 2nd gen bricked after iOS 17.4.1 update

I have auto updates on, and this morning the iPad wouldn't charge. Restarting did not help. I went to the Genius Bar, and I was told that the update must have been interrupted somehow and the files got corrupted. However, he was unable to load a new OS or do anything except offer me a similar IPAD for $500. IE, my perfectly good, pristine IPAD Pro is a brick from a software update! It was also explained to me that I should have had Apple Care, and after 2 years I can pay monthly, then the replacement would have been free. I believe that 4 years of Apple Care is about $500 - so basically I buy the premium IPAD then need to pay a monthly fee to ensure I am protected from their ****** software? This is insane! If anyone has any hints, I still can't believe the software is that poorly designed that it bricks hardware if the download was interrupted. (previous sw engineer here)

iPad Pro (2nd generation)

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 11:54 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2024 12:54 PM in response to loriac

My Ipad Pro hasn't worked properly since the IOS 17.4.1

update. It was sent into a continuous Boot Loop which you cannot stop.

Essentially the update has knackered my Ipad Pro First Generation which had

been working faultlessly until the update. It has undergone 2 hardware tests

and all the analytics have been sent to the Apple Engineers. They want me to

accept a refurbished Ipad Pro Ist Generation when mine had been screwed with

Apple's update and pay £477 for the privilege. I bought the Ipad Pro for £600 when it was new.

Apr 5, 2024 12:20 PM in response to sberman

The tech at the Genius Bar tried that, and I have been trying it at home. The device will not charge, so it's showing no charge at this point and does not show up in the list of devices. The tech said the inability to charge was due to the failed update and it was now stuck in some kind of loop. So, I can't get into recovery mode.

iPad Pro 11inch 2nd gen bricked after iOS 17.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.