After OS update, Pencil doesn't work

Last night, I update my iPad to OS 17.4.1. After the update, my Apple Pencil no longer works in any application. I tried different apps, but it doesn't work in any of them, so it's not an app problem. I also tried "forgetting" the pencil on the Bluetooth page and re-connecting it. That didn't work either. So it has to be a problem with the OS update. Any way to solve this problem or go back to the prior OS?

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 9:26 AM

My iPad is practically useless without the Apple Pencil. Has anyone had success getting this fixed? Is Apple doing anything to solve this? Is there a way to at least roll back to a version of iOS that works properly?

6 replies

Apr 16, 2024 1:57 PM in response to MagazineStreet

I tried reset, restore and DFU. Nothing worked. Spent hours with apple support to no avail.

Then I got the tip on youtube to safely heat up the pen (boil water in a pot), wrap pencil in dry cloth, put pot on top for 10 seconds. When the pencil heated up, I attached it back to the ipad and it is found again and connected.

The problem is the charging of the pen is not triggered after the updates (bug). Heating up the pen would trigger this charging. Good luck!

[Edited by Moderator]

After OS update, Pencil doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.