Unable to report a phishing scam involving an app in the App Store

Hi

I am not sure where to post this.

I recently received a WhatsApp message that was clear fishing and they wanted me to download a 17 year old app in the app store and sign up using it.

It is called SISBIT, and it's clear from its description that there is something super fishy about this app.

I went to try to report the fishing to apple, but apple will only let me report fraud for an app I have already downloaded.... So apples solution is that I download the fishing app so I can report it? That seems like a great idea....

Any way, I have now done my civic duty by posting in a place that hopefully apple monitors.

Thanks

Will

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 5:10 PM

8 replies

Apr 11, 2024 7:46 PM in response to will-tempest

Ah, I see; it looks like the app is 17+ years old but got an update in the last 3 weeks -- probably to get it ready for fishing or whatever the scam is.

I am not sure where you saw the message about it being a crypto app; I just see that it has login and registration.

I would be happy to post the video of the WhatsApp group, except it would give away the phone numbers of some people who might be victims, so I am not sure I should.

Apr 12, 2024 4:42 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Ah, thanks for the clarification about the 17+ years old.

I don't want to dig into the WhatsApp group and detail step by step why I strongly believe it to be a scam. If I posted the thread, I think anyone who has been targeted by scams before would be able to pick out the signs. If I posted the thread, though, I would be giving away people's phone numbers, which I don't want to do.

I made this post to try to fulfill a civic duty to inform apple, but apple isn't here so I think there isn't a point to talk about it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Unable to report a phishing scam involving an app in the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.