UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD process consuming huge amounts of memory

Periodically, the UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD process will start consuming huge amounts of memory on my system. The amount of memory grows over time, so this appears to be a memory leak. The fans on my MacBook spin up, and the system in general slows down. I have to either forcefully stop the process or restart my MacBook to get the system to get back to normal.

Searching around, this appears to be a widespread problem. See:

Some of my system info:

• 1.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
  • macOS Sonoma Version 14.4.1 (23E224)
  • No external devices attached, although I do have nearby bluetooth devices. There does not seem to be a pattern of if the bluetooth devices are connected or not.

Is Apple aware of this problem? Are there any fixes coming soon?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 6:52 AM

Have the same issue. Reported to Apple through their Feedback Assistant (FB13736647). They tend to respond more promptly when multiple reports are filed. If you're experiencing the same problem, please also report it and reference my feedback ID, FB13736647, to help them consolidate the reports more efficiently. Thanks!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2024 6:52 AM in response to scott-a-s

Have the same issue. Reported to Apple through their Feedback Assistant (FB13736647). They tend to respond more promptly when multiple reports are filed. If you're experiencing the same problem, please also report it and reference my feedback ID, FB13736647, to help them consolidate the reports more efficiently. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2024 5:50 AM in response to scott-a-s

scott-a-s wrote:

Periodically, the UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD process will start consuming huge amounts of memory on my system. The amount of memory grows over time, so this appears to be a memory leak. The fans on my MacBook spin up, and the system in general slows down. I have to either forcefully stop the process or restart my MacBook to get the system to get back to normal.

Searching around, this appears to be a widespread problem. See:

• UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD consuming 4GB of RAM on MacOS
• UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD memory leak?
Some of my system info:

1.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
• 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
• macOS Sonoma Version 14.4.1 (23E224)
• No external devices attached, although I do have nearby bluetooth devices. There does not seem to be a pattern of if the bluetooth devices are connected or not.

Is Apple aware of this problem? Are there any fixes coming soon?

Can the user provide a Screen Shot high-lightly offending Process In Activity Monitor

Please use the View >> View ALL Processes

Then, post back using the " Image Insertion "

May 4, 2024 7:16 AM in response to scott-a-s

I had a long chat about this with Apple support, eventually escalating to phone with their senior support team. Nobody I spoke with had ever heard of this service process, had any clue what it does, what kicks it off, or how to prevent the leak! If I let it run for two or three days it usually grows to about 4GB. I never saw this before Sonoma 14.4.1. I think it is a macOS bug. Fingers crossed that it is silently fixed in Sonoma 14.5.

May 8, 2024 12:53 PM in response to scott-a-s

Today, during a reboot, I connected the charger cable to the right front USBC port on my 2019 Intel MBP 16". Previously I had always connected it to the right rear port. This time, the UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD daemon appeared briefly at boot and then it (and and all its siblings) disappeared a bit later!

Of course, it could raise its ugly head again later, but so far it has been a few hours and there aren't any of these processes running. I suspect there is a bug in Sonoma 14.4.1's handling of that particular USBC port when it is being used to power the computer.

Please try this if you have

UARPUpdaterServiceUSBPD process consuming huge amounts of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.