Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I Can Not Edit Existing Documents

Suddenly I can not edit any existing documents. I can create new documents and save them anywhere. My Mac runs fine (so I must be able to "use" system files normally), but I can not save changes to any existing documents: Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Text, etc.

When I look at permissions for the files and the folders in each instance, I see what looks correct:

"xxx(me) | Read & Write"

But when I try to save a Word file, e.g., I get a pop up stating "The document [name] could not be saved."

I can't think of any reasons other than permissions, but maybe I am missing something?

Thanks for any help.

(despite what it says below, I am running OS 12.7.4)

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 7:45 AM

13 replies

May 1, 2024 6:41 AM in response to dhp317

In case anyone is curious, I resolved the issue, but in a very labor-intensive way. I went to each folder that held documents and changed the permissions to read only, applied this to all enclosed items, and then changed them back to read/write (which is what they were originally). This worked for items in the folder.. I then had to to it for each subfolder as well (despite having elected to apply the changes to all enclosed items).

So now all the permissions look exactly as they did at the start, but they function properly and I can edit my documents.

Apr 18, 2024 11:41 AM in response to Ronasara

I appreciate your weighing in. It began the day I posted. I was away for a week, turned on my Mac and couldn't edit files. I didn't do any updates when I booted up, and I do not have system updates auto install (I have subsequently done the one system update available, but it had no effect). Also, this is not a Microsoft app problem. It affects all documents - text editor docs, pages docs, pdfs, etc...

Apr 18, 2024 4:20 PM in response to BDAqua

I appreciate anyone who is willing to offer input, so I'm sorry if something wasn't clear: I never mentioned using iCloud as a backup, and in fact have no documents there; and the quoted permissions in my post were the result of the "Get Info" I performed on every folder in which I have documents. They all read "xxx(me) | Read & Write"

I Can Not Edit Existing Documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.