Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Stuck on Mac OS X Utilities, cannot reinstall Mac OS X Lion 10.7

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Apple world, saw an imac (late 2008) at the thrift store (final sale) and brought it home. When I turn it on, it takes me right to the "Mac OS X Utilities" with the four options of restore, reinstall, get help online, and disk utility. When I click on Reinstall, it drops down "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I am connected to the internet, have tried other forum help ideas like changing the date or repairing and fixing the disk but nothing helps. I also tried to erase the disk but it "couldn't unmount disk." I do not have another similar mac to do the app download things.

My question is, is there any other steps I can take? I saw on Ebay, an OS X 10.7 Bootable 16gb USB 3.0., could I use this to install and by pass the Mac OS X utilities? If I want to use this imac as an everyday computer can I buy other USB and download something newer to use?

Thank you so much, any help is appreciated!

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 5:12 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 26, 2024 1:01 PM in response to Nugsnotdrugs6444

EDIT: I have the late 2006* not 2008.

For future references for others, getting the USB really worked! I decided on the 10.6 USB instead to not max out the iMac. I was able to install it after being able to delete the disk. Safari wasn't really working but I was able to download interweb browser on it as an alternative! Good luck to anyone else :)

Stuck on Mac OS X Utilities, cannot reinstall Mac OS X Lion 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.