Can’t update Mac Mini (mid 2011)

When I try to update it doesn’t matter which key combination I use I end up in the same two results: when using recovery mode (both local and internet recovery) the recovery offers to reinstall OS X Lion, but it doesn’t work as it shows the error “Can’t download additional components” tried every solution for that on this site and none of them worked. Then, on the internet recovery it offers to install macOS High Sierra, after properly format the ssd from Mac OS Extended to APFS, everything goes normal with the update, but after some minutes (20-30 mins) it just restarts and boots back with a crossed out circle.

I’ve tried all of the key combinations for recovery, resetting NVRAM, changing dates using “date” on terminal. And a sort of bootable USB using Transmac on windows. This is the only Mac device I have and no friends of mine have macOS so I can make a bootable usb using the App Store.

Is it really the only two ways to reinstall windows? I really need some help.

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 11:43 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 22, 2024 11:53 PM in response to mmc6626

mmc6626 Said:

"Can’t update Mac Mini (mid 2011): [...]after properly format the ssd from Mac OS Extended to APFS, everything goes normal with the update, but after some minutes (20-30 mins) it just restarts and boots back with a crossed out circle.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac in a Boot Loop:

Being continuous, it seems there is an error in the caches. Boot Loops occurs when you go about installing updates and it stalls while in the process. So, refer to the following...

A. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only): Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

C. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

May 1, 2024 7:18 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi, so I tried all of your solutions and here's what happened:

1. So with Safe Mode it only crashes after 10 seconds of booting and it shows this screen:

And then it just reboots to a folder with a question mark, then reboots to recovery mode (on OS X Lion). If i try this with a bootable High Sierra usb it's the same result but with a crossed out circle just to get back to recovery mode on High Sierra instead of Lion.

2.Resetting NVRAM did nothing apparently, besides taking 30 minutes to boot back from a black screen into recovery mode as if nothing happened

3.Also no changes, I proceed with the install and it bootloops back into recovery mode as usual. I cannot try it with another drive since the original HDD it came with is already dying and macos refuses to install on it.

Am I doing something wrong with any of these? Any more advice is apreciated

May 4, 2024 10:08 PM in response to mmc6626

auforund Said:

"[...]And then it just reboots to a folder with a question mark, then reboots to recovery mode (on OS X Lion). If i try this with a bootable High Sierra usb it's the same result but with a crossed out circle just to get back to recovery mode on High Sierra instead of Lion.[...]"

-------

See here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

Can’t update Mac Mini (mid 2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.