Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iCloud photos sync stuck on Windows 11

I've had an issue for a while with iCloud photos, the sync works for about 50 or so photos and then stops and never syncs anymore. Restarting icloud in the app then gets stuck on initialising (and doesn't sync newer photos), restarting the windows service the same. If I delete the whole thing and start again it'll sync the newest but get stuck around the same point (maybe a few photos more - the newer ones - but stuck at the same point in the past).

It's as if at a point in time/photo it freezes (tried deleting the first photo where it gets stuck but nothing), so it always sync's the latest photos but stops.

Windows

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 2:01 AM

8 replies

Apr 24, 2024 9:44 AM in response to The real planty

OK thanks to some pointers from diammon I may have solved the issue.

Steps taken:

1) Looked at the logs, the error in this thread made me think issues may be indicated in the client.db file.

2) Downloaded a SQLLite browser from the web, opened this file and filtered on some of the initial files to give a warning and also the last warning files. Using the record ID could see the file name, all were .mp4 files that were saves from apps

3) finding these was a needle in a haystack, but found one or two in my deleted folder

4) permanently deleted these files from the deleted folder on the iPhone, waited for the sync to iCloud

5) stopped the photos sync in iCloud app on the PC

6) renamed the folder C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Packages\AppleInc.iCloud_HASCODE\LocalCache\Local\Apple Inc\iCloudPhotoLibrary - photos will create a new one when restated

7) Restarted photo sync in iCloud on the PC

It's currently past a few hundred so I'm hoping all good!! Will update this thread it it works for good!!

Apr 24, 2024 8:42 AM in response to diammon

Hmm interesting, the photos log file is huge (175Mb!)

Full of the following warnings (obv diff record ID's for each line) :

[138736 @ Wed Apr 24 2024 10:02:25.318] 223704 WARN WP::SyncDown::DownloadThumbnailBatch Record AXRplifoNGlbrHaRfjroCEQeJBwh: hidden; skipping thumbnail generation

then errors at the end of the file with a few errors like

RROR PQLConnection::Close sqlite3_close(C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Packages\AppleInc.iCloud_xxxxx\LocalCache\Local\Apple Inc\iCloudPhotoLibrary\client.db) failed: SQL error (5,5): unable to close due to unfinalized statements or unfinished backups. Executing statement ''

All of which means not a lot to me?!?

Apr 24, 2024 8:59 AM in response to The real planty

I see you're not the only one with this error. Here, for example, a person has a similar problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/ApplePhotos/comments/1bjcf0d/apple_icloud_windows_11_pc_photo_sync_stuck/

Of course you can contact Apple support, but I think you will get standard answers.

My personal opinion is that idrive can't create a thumbnail on some file. I would try to track down what that file is, copy it directly and then delete it. And clean the gallery of unnecessary photos, you probably have some =)

iCloud photos sync stuck on Windows 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.