Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Is there any in home services that can set up an Apple Smart home in Bramption Ontario Canada?

I'm a new (August '23) ex-Windows now novice Apple user.

I have an iPad, iPhone, mini-homepod, Apple4K box and M2 Mac mini. I want to tie all my devices together, expand my TV network on my NORDVPN (like YoutubeTV) and who knows, maybe add smart light bulbs, camera security etc. I don't know what I don't know yet but I am looking forward to learning/building it.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 10:38 AM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2024 2:48 PM in response to Minimacjim

I agree you start with one smart device at a time. You’ll need to know how it works to be able to run it anyways. It’s all very daunting at first but you eventually get the hang of it.

To start with using Apple HomeKit you first need a Home Hub; an Apple TV Box or HomePod: Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support iPads can no longer be used once you are on the new Home architecture. You need to have the Home App on the device you’d like to control it with. Old Apple devices might not work. We’re assuming you use Apple devices. A HomePod requires that you have an iPhone to set it up. It can be done with an iPad too but an iPhone is best. You need to be in agreement that you’ll use two factor authentication (some people don’t like this) and have keychain turned on (this stores passwords)

You need a home wifi network. Some devices prefer 2.4 GHZ over 5 G. I use both.

Following this you will need to purchase smart devices that work with Apple Homekit. You will see this logo on the packaging.

I’m sure there are Nerds you can hire but you’re handing over your Apple ID and wifi password to have them do it for you. Every device requires you entering these credentials. For things like thermostats you can hire an electrician to install it. I had my furnace guy do mine while he was here for the annual tune up. For other things like door locks, whoever installs this things are likely to understand smart home set up and can get you started. Bulbs are easier to do. Do your research on what people say about each device you’re considering purchasing. Pros and Cons, does it require Thread and Matter tech to be in the Home Hub. Basically you are going to have to read up on all this stuff!

Apr 24, 2024 12:13 PM in response to Minimacjim

Minimacjim wrote:

With no disrespect intended, I’m looking to hire an Apple Nerd” locally (Brampton) to take me along for the ride to utilize my current toys & any future ones I get made aware of.

Given that it's a consumer-level system, I suspect there aren't very many people who do it professionally. I could certainly be wrong, though.

This is a global forum for user-to-user technical support. Generally, it falls short at making specific recommendations for local vendors. Your more likely to get the best of that sort of information by asking people in your area.

I'd suggest you try doing an internet search for computer consultants in your area. Or, if there is a local computer shop, stop in and ask them. If you work for a company with an IT department, ask someone in the department if they know of anyone who might do such work. You might also try stopping in to your local Apple Store and asking.

Apr 24, 2024 12:03 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I’m not looking, don’t have the skill set nor am I interested in learning to do the work myself (I’m no idiot, I’ll understand it as we go).

With no disrespect intended, I’m looking to hire an Apple Nerd” locally (Brampton) to take me along for the ride to utilize my current toys & any future ones I get made aware of.

Boys need toys 😊

Apr 25, 2024 9:33 AM in response to Minimacjim

Minimacjim wrote:

I plan on a more extensive local search but I had to start somewhere and where better to find an apple expert (who just might be local or know one) and, if my search fails, I’ll likely need these forums to help me do it myself

I am almost positive that if you start slowly, one item at a time, you can do this! But I get not wanting to. I am perfectly capable of changing the oil in my car; my dad taught me when I was about 10. But, in the intervening 50 years, I haven't done it myself because it's just so much easier to pay someone to do it. And less messy. ;-)

Is there any in home services that can set up an Apple Smart home in Bramption Ontario Canada?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.