Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

system data taking up over half of my internal storage

is this normal??? i know the general consensus that iOS and system stuff takes up more thn an appropriate amount, but even considering that, over half seems excessive and like something is potentially wrong that is fixable, no?

thanks for reading and giving me the time of day anyways ! have a good day :)

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 4:09 PM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2024 4:45 PM in response to koryjophus96

That is excessive, even though it includes cache files that are automatically deleted to make room when needed. Some apps take advantage of caching information even when not necessary, while the OS will cache information to speed up the computer by not having to turn to the HD or Internet for data used frequently. The OS manages its cache data much better than many apps.

A location on your user folder where some System Data collects is in the Application Support folder. You can remove folders from here for Apps that you no longer use, but do not attempt to delete anything else. You can view this folder by going to Finder > Go > Go to Folder, and enter "~/Library/Application Support" (without quotes).

You can also startup in Safe Mode to remove some of the system caches, then start again normally.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

It may also help to post the free EtreCheck report to identify problematic apps that are running on startup. There are 3 categories of apps that should not be installed as they are known to cause problems and it is best to remove these to see if the problem goes away before posting the EtreCheck report. The apps that should not be installed are:

• Cleaners (CleanMyMac is a known problem)
  • Optimizers
  • AntiVirus

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

system data taking up over half of my internal storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.