Why Won't Text Edit Open?

What is going on? I can't get Text Edit to open! I've had this issue before, and Apple techs told me that upgrading my OS would likely cure it, well, I upgraded from Big Sur to Ventura, and still dealing with all the same issues as I had before, no help at all. What could be causing this very basic, Apple, app, from always "not responding"?

And why am I getting a red warning message below, telling me my post "must include text"? What does it think this is?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 4:52 PM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2024 3:17 AM in response to Saxman

Saxman wrote:

What is going on? I can't get Text Edit to open! I've had this issue before, and Apple techs told me that upgrading my OS would likely cure it, well, I upgraded from Big Sur to Ventura, and still dealing with all the same issues as I had before, no help at all. What could be causing this very basic, Apple, app, from always "not responding"?

And why am I getting a red warning message below, telling me my post "must include text"? What does it think this is?

TextEdit not responding ?

With the Application 100 % Closed

Hold SHIFT key and try to Safe Launch the application

Still issues >>

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

Does the issue present in this mode ?

Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

Still issues - post back for additional suggesting in Trouble Shooting this issue

Friendly comment on " And why am I getting a red warning message below, telling me my post "must include text"? What does it think this is? "

One can post a Question but the body of the question must contain text

Example used by our daughter and related to e-mails

She will use the Subject Line of the email to send the entire text of the message leaving the Body of completely Blank.

I am guessing this is what may also apply when posting a question on the ASC Forums ??

Apr 27, 2024 1:14 AM in response to Saxman

Sorry for previous reply

It seems I did not notice Apple removed an element for the General Forums

To more directly answer what I think you are asking

Dec 5, 2023 Apple changed the Awards system dramatically

The old " Solved " Recommended " and " Helpful " monikers were disbanded.

Replaced with a Voting System whereby any user can participate by an UpVote, DownVote or Not voting at all.

It is not longer an exclusive right of the Author of the question to participate in voting as they see fit.

The link below may offer some more in-depth insight on the New and Improved Apple Awards System and how it work.

How to use the Apple Support Community

Apr 26, 2024 2:53 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, opening it using the Shift key finally got it to open! As for the text issue, I had a full paragraph or two of text, thus my dismay at seeing the red flag. Fortunately, I just went ahead and posted it, and it did so.

I tell ya, sometimes I feel like I'm having flashbacks to the six months of **** I went through, when I owned a Windows computer, back in the 90s... So many bugs these days, and a very real lost "intuitiveness"....

Why Won't Text Edit Open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.