Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

CleanMyMac doesn't work on my Mac. What to do?

I recently encountered an issue with CleanMyMac where the application is not functioning properly. Despite my attempts to use it, the program seems to be unresponsive or failing to perform its cleaning and maintenance tasks as expected. I have tried troubleshooting on my own, but I am unsure of what steps to take next to resolve the issue.

Any guidance or suggestions on how to address this problem with CleanMyMac or what are CleanMyMac alternatives? Thanks.

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 12:17 AM

You do not need 3rd party programs to "optimise" your Mac, in most cases they can do more harm than good.

macOS has it's own built in programs that make sure that your Mac is working as expected.

You should deinstall your 3rd party program.

Also have a look at these posts:

Clean My Mac, NOT - Apple Community

Antivirus, Cleaning and other third party… - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2024 12:17 AM in response to Petraanna

You do not need 3rd party programs to "optimise" your Mac, in most cases they can do more harm than good.

macOS has it's own built in programs that make sure that your Mac is working as expected.

You should deinstall your 3rd party program.

Also have a look at these posts:

Clean My Mac, NOT - Apple Community

Antivirus, Cleaning and other third party… - Apple Community

Apr 26, 2024 8:25 AM in response to Petraanna

Petraanna wrote:

Any guidance or suggestions on how to address this problem with CleanMyMac or what are CleanMyMac alternatives? Thanks.

Please be aware that responses that are carefully formated lists of possible "solutions" that are from newer users are often AI-generated. Unless you already understand the issue (and if you did, why would you need to post here?), it will be very hard for you to determine if the suggestions are useful or if they are wrong or even dangerous.

I'm not suggesting by any means that all newer users post bad answers.

Apr 26, 2024 9:31 AM in response to Petraanna

I also suggest that cleaning apps are not needed and can cause serious issues when used. That said, you have provided no useful information about your issue. In order for us to evaluate and respond, we need to have specific things to evaluate. Things like exactly what happened, when and why did it occur, then what did you do, etc. Please keep this in mind for any future posts.

Apr 27, 2024 11:26 PM in response to Petraanna

Ah, bummer about CleanMyMac doesn't work on Mac! I totally feel your frustration because I've been there too. Here's what worked for me when I ran into the same issue:

First off, I gave my Mac a good ol' restart. Sometimes, software just needs a little kick in the digital pants to get going again, you know? So, I shut down my Mac, waited a minute or two, then fired it back up. Lo and behold, CleanMyMac started behaving a bit better after that.

But, alas, that didn't completely fix things. So, I went on a hunt for updates. Turns out there was a new version of CleanMyMac waiting for me. I downloaded and installed it, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. And you know what? That seemed to do the trick! It was like magic - everything started working smoothly again.

If CleanMyMac doesn't work on Mac, maybe there's some other software causing a ruckus. I checked to see if anything else I had installed was butting heads with CleanMyMac. Temporarily turning off other maintenance tools or utilities could be worth a shot.

And hey, if all else fails, don't hesitate to reach out to CleanMyMac's support team. They're pretty helpful folks and might have some extra tricks up their sleeves.

CleanMyMac doesn't work on my Mac. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.