"Exporting" mp3 files - strange behavior

I'm attempting to "export" the files in my music library to a USB drive for use in a receiver in a different location. I've been having trouble having the receiver report "unable to play", and with some sleuthing, I've discovered that when I copy the mp3 files from my music library, somehow, in addition to the "real" mp3 file, an additional file is setup on the USB drive with an underscore character in front of the song title, e.g. "._My favorite song". This "phantom" (for lack of a better term) file confuses the receiver works, and it won't play from the USB drive. I cannot see these "phantom" files in finder, I'm not sure what purpose they serve. Any advice on what is going on, and how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 9:17 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2024 7:13 PM in response to w7lej1

There's a Terminal command that will remove these files.

The command is dot_clean -m [directory].

Right before you eject a flash drive, go into Terminal and type dot_clean -m followed by a space. Then drag and drop the USB drive icon from the Finder into the Terminal window. (This is a shortcut for entering the proper Unix directory name of the flash drive, with all of the escape characters required for the command line.). Hit RETURN. Then Eject the flash drive from the Mac before the Finder gets the idea to write any more ._* files to it.

With a little work, you can probably set up an Automator actions or something like that so that you can just drag a USB flash drive's icon onto an automation script icon to clean it. There are other posts in these forums somewhere that describe how to do that.

If you're curious about dot_clean, you can type man dot_clean at the command line and you will get a description of what it does, and what command line arguments it takes. man is a standard Unix command to view the manual entries for command-line commands (including itself!).

Apr 26, 2024 10:47 AM in response to w7lej1

They are extended attribute files that macOS creates. You cannot stop them from being created. However, you can remove them.

Here is an easy way to remove them from your flash drive(s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVWJMdFeUbU

Just be very careful that you "cd" to the flash drive. ("cd"= change directory)

Don't accidentally apply the "rm" command to your internal disk. ("rm" = remove, and it is permanent removal)

And remove ONLY the "._" files

"Exporting" mp3 files - strange behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.