Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MALWARE POP-UP

I keep getting a virus warning popup (malware) telling me my MacBook Pro has a virus and I should click on the popup to remove it. I bought Clean My Mac X and have run several deep scans, but to no avail. I came to the Apple Discussions site in hopes of finding an answer regarding how to stop this popup and remove any type of malware that may have attached itself to my computer. I followed the instructions (Safari-Settings-Websites-Notifications- select the picture of the settings app & remove it) to no avail - there was no picture of the settings app.

Any advice?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 6:02 AM

Is not malware, just a spam notification Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

2 replies

Apr 27, 2024 6:01 AM in response to TRKelley01

It appears to be a browser pop-up scam. Just don't click on it.

The free version of Malwarebytes should get rid of it. Download Malwarebytes here -> https://www.malwarebytes.com/ Malwarebytes it fine to install & use; it was originally written by a respected member of these forums.

Also, remove CleanMyMac. It has a long reputation of creating more problems than it solves; and you don't need it. The built-in virus protection in macOS is all you really need.

MALWARE POP-UP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.