mac mini has no internet while sharing from wifi to ethernet

I have my M1 Mac Mini connected to WiFi for internet and sharing that over ethernet to a Linux PC. Linux has internet, but MacOS doesn’t. Both have static IPs that are confirmed working (MacOS works without sharing and Linux works if I do share). Is this a weird feature in iOS, a bug or a bad configuration? How can I get the Mac back online while still sharing over ethernet?

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 12:53 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2024 2:47 AM in response to hcsitas

That’s the guide I originally followed to set it up the first time, with only slight adjustments for my use case (WiFi -> Ethernet instead of Ethernet -> WiFi). It worked fine the first time, but this time it’s not. Linux has access to the internet from Ethernet shared by MacOS, but MacOS has no internet.

The weird part is that I’m using Barrier to share keyboard and mouse from the Mac (server) to both the Linux PC and another Windows PC. Linux, of course is connected to the Mac’s Ethernet port, Windows is on the same WiFi network as the Mac and both machines can use the Mac’s mouse and keyboard so both Windows and Linux are “talking” to the Mac. For some reason MacOS is just “giving away” its internet connection rather than “sharing” it.

mac mini has no internet while sharing from wifi to ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.