Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook air good enough for web/graphic design?

I’m a website/graphic designer who’s been working in a PC environment for the past 15 years, which I’ve recently left, and am looking at buying my first MacBook in nearly 20 years! I need this community’s help in making a purchase decision. I’m in New Zealand & have narrowed my options down to 2 on Apple’s website. I can get a refurbished 14” MacBook Pro with the M3 Pro chip, 18gb of RAM & 512gb of storage for $3399 or a brand new 13” MacBook Air with the base M3 chip, 24gb of RAM and 1tb of storage for $3199 saving $200 over the Pro. Now, at that spec level would the Air be good enough as an all day machine running apps like Photoshop, Indesign & web based web building apps like Wordpress & Duda along with a bit of video editing etc, or would the Pro be the better buy long term even though it has less RAM and storage than the Air option? I know the Airs and fanless but with 24gb of RAM and 1tb of storage would that be enough to stop it from heating up and throttling using the apps I mentioned?

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 3:05 PM

That MacBook Air is enough for graphic design, always choose the most ram option as design programs consume lot of it, this would be a different story if you are doing things like cad, bin design in architecture or rendering as this has to cause overheating and the Air does not have fans, and even then you can resort to an external one.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2024 3:05 PM in response to bpow77

That MacBook Air is enough for graphic design, always choose the most ram option as design programs consume lot of it, this would be a different story if you are doing things like cad, bin design in architecture or rendering as this has to cause overheating and the Air does not have fans, and even then you can resort to an external one.

Apr 27, 2024 8:58 AM in response to bpow77

You might want to consider some other factors:

• Compare the external monitor support of the two Macs. For example, if you want to run 2 external monitors AND your Mac's display, then the MBP would be what you want. Also, there are differences between the resolution support of external monitors.
    • Compare the external ports provided on MacBook Airs vs MacBook Pros. Might be something to consider.
    • There is a difference the the display resolution of MacBook Airs vs MacBook Pros. The Pros have a better display, which might be important when doing graphic design.
    • To me, a 13" display wouldn't be of interest unless connecting to an external monitor.
    • Given the apps you use, I'd be saving up for the MBP with a larger SSD and (perhaps) more RAM. Adobe recommends 16GB RAM, but if you tend to have multiple photos and browser tabs open all the time, then adding more RAM to the MBP would be a wise move.

Hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2024 2:25 PM in response to Gabo0704

My main concern is performance longevity. A lot of the reviews I’ve read and watched about the M3 Air say that although it is plenty capable, it’s more of a “sprint than a marathon” machine when it comes to workloads meaning in short burst of work it’s fine but could warm up and throttle under longer periods of work. I’ll be using apps like Photoshop and web building apps like Wordpress and Duda for most of the working day so I’m curious to know if reviewers are being over cautious or if the Air could easily handle a full workday’s worth of graphics / web design work?

Apr 28, 2024 3:11 PM in response to bpow77

bpow77 wrote:

My main concern is performance longevity. A lot of the reviews I’ve read and watched about the M3 Air say that although it is plenty capable, it’s more of a “sprint than a marathon” machine when it comes to workloads meaning in short burst of work it’s fine but could warm up and throttle under longer periods of work. I’ll be using apps like Photoshop and web building apps like Wordpress and Duda for most of the working day so I’m curious to know if reviewers are being over cautious or if the Air could easily handle a full workday’s worth of graphics / web design work?

Again, based on what you'll be using it for, I'd still recommend going with a MacBook Pro (but not a base model processor). The MacBook Air has no fans in it, so if the thermals creep up, the only thing it can do is throttle back.

MacBook air good enough for web/graphic design?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.