Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

can the MBP's magsafe cable be plugged into other power adapters?

Hi all! Dumb question maybe.

On the old apple power bricks, the MagSafe cable was hard fixed onto the brick. But now they are usb-c on one side (to be plugged into power adapter) and the new MagSafe 3 on the other side.

So.. I could plug the usb-c end into any other power brick? say an Anker or Ugreen one?

Someone told me I should absolutely not do this.

But.. then why is the cable made this way? And the MBP can charge via usb-c port now also so.. this would just be freeing one of those ports by using MagSafe. Surely if it's at least a 60w brick it'll work? My MBP came with a 96w one so I guess anything less would charge kind of slow, but would it cause harm?

thanks!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 7:10 AM

When used with a genuine Apple Power adapter, the MagSafe cable provides FAR more than just Voltage. When initially connected to your Mac it does NOTHING. Only After the Mac recognizes the legitimate Apple cable and power adapter, does the computer send commands to request power at the levels it desires at that moment. Then the computer commands the LEDs to light in a certain way.

The risk of making a mistake is that you apply higher than expected Voltages to your multi-thousand dollar Macintosh computer, possibly completely ruining it. ¿For what? The approved Apple power adapter costs around eighty bucks (slightly higher for the 140 Watt model).

The only recommendation any responsible person can make in this case:

Use ONLY the Apple power adapters with the MagSafe cable, and NO others.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2024 7:10 AM in response to wiggle321

When used with a genuine Apple Power adapter, the MagSafe cable provides FAR more than just Voltage. When initially connected to your Mac it does NOTHING. Only After the Mac recognizes the legitimate Apple cable and power adapter, does the computer send commands to request power at the levels it desires at that moment. Then the computer commands the LEDs to light in a certain way.

The risk of making a mistake is that you apply higher than expected Voltages to your multi-thousand dollar Macintosh computer, possibly completely ruining it. ¿For what? The approved Apple power adapter costs around eighty bucks (slightly higher for the 140 Watt model).

The only recommendation any responsible person can make in this case:

Use ONLY the Apple power adapters with the MagSafe cable, and NO others.

Apr 27, 2024 8:15 AM in response to wiggle321

Yes. anything with a USB-C output (extreme example: iPhone charger, 5 Volts at 0.5 Amps) can slowly charge your MacBook Pro at 5 volt level.

However, those low-Wattage chargers will take a VERY long time and you Mac must be shut down to make progress. (Watts = Volts * Amps, so my example is 2.5 Watts charge rate).

To charge at a reasonable rate, such a USB power adapter must use 'USB-C Power Delivery' protocol to negotiate higher than 5 Volt charging, So that it can provide the needed about 80 watts typical charging rate for 14-in MacBook Pro.

Apr 27, 2024 7:34 PM in response to wiggle321

wiggle321 wrote:

because they'd prefer to have one everyone can use not just the Mac ppl. And I'd prefer to have something compact for travel.

edit: and if I understand correctly, as long as I charge via usb-c this should be safe for the MBP?

Other brand laptops can use the Apple USB-C Power Adapters. I would trust the Apple power adapter over any third party non-OEM power adapter. Those other brand laptops are usually less picky about their power adapters than Macs.

can the MBP's magsafe cable be plugged into other power adapters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.