Google photos backup is annoying and unneeded

I’ve run out of Google storage space for photos and email. To get storage back, I want to delete the photos that are safely stored on iCloud but have no business being on Google photos as well. This is redundant. Trouble is, deleting a photo from Google also deletes it from iCloud! I’ve turned off backup in Google but it does nothing to stop the double-deletion problem.

I can spend a few dollars a month for more storage on Google, but it’s so unnecessary. I can also delete a bunch of old emails, but that’s not my concern with this post.

So is there a way to simply remove duplicates from Google photos without also losing them from where they first originated—iPhotos stored in my ipad (in most cases)?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 7:31 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2024 10:35 AM in response to Ddale53

Ddale53 wrote:

I’ve run out of Google storage space for photos and email. To get storage back, I want to delete the photos that are safely stored on iCloud but have no business being on Google photos as well. This is redundant. Trouble is, deleting a photo from Google also deletes it from iCloud! I’ve turned off backup in Google but it does nothing to stop the double-deletion problem.

I can spend a few dollars a month for more storage on Google, but it’s so unnecessary. I can also delete a bunch of old emails, but that’s not my concern with this post.

So is there a way to simply remove duplicates from Google photos without also losing them from where they first originated—iPhotos stored in my ipad (in most cases)?

Ask google support

Google photos backup is annoying and unneeded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.