Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Move photos from one iCloud Photo Library to another?

My parents have an old Mac which is currently signed into their iCloud account with iCloud Photo Library turned on. I want to copy/add all their photos to my iCloud Photo Library.

If I turn off iCloud Photo Library on their Mac and ensure the full version of photos are saved on the Mac, then sign in with my account, will it merge the photos from their old Mac into my iCloud Photo Library (without deleting mine? Thanks

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 3:03 AM

7 replies

May 3, 2024 3:17 AM in response to appleonline...

Another option would be the Shared iCloud Photos Library. I don't know, how old the Mac of your parents is, but if you and your parents could use macOS 13 Ventura or later, you could simply set up the Shared iCloud Photos Library on your Mac and your other iCloud devices and invite your parents to share their photos. Then they could move all photos they want to share with you to the Shared iCloud Photos library. This is described here: How to use iCloud Shared Photo LibraryApple SupportOfficial Apple Support › en-us

But you need devices that support the most recent system versions, iOS 16 or later, macOS 13 or later.

May 1, 2024 9:31 AM in response to appleonline...

The quickest and surest method would be to drag their Photos Library to a hard drive and then just bring that back with you. You can run their Library from your Mac just like it's yours, and you'd have more time to visit while you're there, instead of messing with a computer. If you haven't visited Wales-- they have the coolest castles!

Apr 30, 2024 8:34 AM in response to appleonline...

This is much like turning off iCloud on your phone, taking a bunch of pictures, and then turning iCloud back on again. The pictures get added, of course. If you connect your Parent's Photos to your iCloud account, their pictures will get added to your Library. And your pictures will get added to theirs. Make sure that's what you want!

I'm thinking that "full version of photos are saved on the Mac" means "...on their Mac." Then, OK.

Being a bit nervous about losing pictures, I would turn off iCloud for my Photos Library on my own Mac, just in case. And I'd have a backup copy of both Libraries.

Apr 30, 2024 2:21 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thanks Richard, yes the full versions are saved on their Mac. At this stage it’s fine if my photos sync to their Mac via iCloud when I log in. Although I will turn off iCloud on my own Mac to keep a backup.

As an alternative, I am guessing if I export the relevant images to a hard drive (or could I export directly to my iPad), that could also work. They live in the UK and have a bunch of old photos I want a copy of (e.g 20-30,000 pics and videos), so working out the best option to get them across when I’m back there in a couple of weeks.

May 1, 2024 10:38 AM in response to appleonline...

If the system version on your Mac is the same as on the Mac of your parents or you are having a newer system version, you could simply copy their Phots Library to a portable drive and take the library with you.

then you can merge the libraries when you are back at home.If your Mac as running macOS 13 or 14, you can import the photos from their library into your own library.

Move photos from one iCloud Photo Library to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.