Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

How can I reduce the size of ios 15.8.2

I have an older iphone 6 and updated today to new ios.

However it is taking up all the storage now rendering the device useless.

What are my options short of buying an android phone, and is this a deliberate sales tactic by Apple yet again to destroy older devices and force purchase of new ones

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on May 1, 2024 5:26 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 5:33 AM in response to applereallyarethedevil

An iPhone 6 is incapable of running anything higher than iOS 12.5.7.

If you are running out of room, the you need to delete something to make room. This is not a sales tactic and if you feel an Android system will suit your better, then by all means purchase whatever phone you like.

Here are some helpful articles that can guide you on how to free up storage space on your phone.

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Manage your photo storage - Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 1, 2024 5:38 AM in response to applereallyarethedevil

Apple regularly updates its hardware and software, which can strain compatibility with older devices over time. This creates the impression that Apple wants you to upgrade.

However, there's more to the story. Advancements in technology often render older hardware less capable, making it difficult to maintain seamless performance and compatibility. Additionally, like any machine, devices age and degrade naturally.

Sure, Apple benefits from selling new products. But attributing all limitations of older devices to a ploy might be an oversimplification. Companies constantly innovate, and sometimes that progress makes older models fall behind.

The choice is yours: upgrade for the latest features and performance, or stick with your current device based on your needs and budget. Consider the trade-off between cost, functionality, security, and personal preference.

Mobile brand/model selection is an individual choice based on many parameters. Such as Money, Feature, Status, Aesthetic, Utility, User-Friendliness, Availability, Warranty Coverage, Service Support, Resale value, Technology and many other factors. Choose yours judiciously!

How can I reduce the size of ios 15.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.