Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iTunes won't 'share' music from my iphone to my PLC.

I've been using iTunes for YEARS. I've loaded music from CD's into iTunes over the years and now iTunes doesn't recognize/authorize the sharing of this music between devices. Now what do I do?

Posted on May 1, 2024 8:29 AM

6 replies

May 1, 2024 3:58 PM in response to Scott827

Scott827 wrote:

It's as if iTunes won't touch the songs loaded from CD's for fear of copyright laws.

I very much doubt it, it would be a first.

You haven't actually answered most of the questions asked by Phil0124.

I hadn't synced for a year and now when I do it warns that if I continue, it will erase all the music from my phone.

As Phil0124 has suggested, it indicates that the iTunes library on your computer is a different one to the one that you originally used to add the music to your phone. So something has happened to make iTunes think that the music on your phone came from a different iTunes Library:

• have you had your computer re-built or repaired?
    • has iTunes been uninstalled and then re-installed?
    • did you perform housework and delete music from your computer? (A typical issue is when users delete the copy of the music on their computer in order to save space)
    • did you move the music files from your computer to an external drive?
    • have you changed to a new computer?

To try to clarify something that you appear to have misunderstood:

• rather than referring to "sharing" music between devices, think of it like this: the master copy of the music copied from your CDs is in folders on your computer and all iTunes has done is make a note of where those files are located. (The music is not "in iTunes")
    • all copies of the music on each and every one of your devices has been copied from the master copy on your computer. You cannot "share", copy or move music from the phone to another phone or to an iTunes Library, it's all one-way
    • iTunes refers to the files on your computer whenever it needs to play the music (in iTunes) or copy it to a device

As a last resort if your CD music has been lost, try the article to which Phil0124 linked. It offers helpful tips from fellow user turingtest2 on copying the music from your phone back into iTunes. However, it's not a simple process and iTunes has no native way of doing it. It is a last resort as far as I'm concerned, but even if it's the route you have to adopt, it's still in your interest to find the answers to the questions asked as that will prevent this from happening again.

May 1, 2024 10:00 AM in response to Scott827

What happened on the PC that caused the loss of the iTunes library there?

Did it load a different library?

Did you get a new PC without your music library?

Did you just wake up one day and find your music gone?

Did you do something to iTunes and then the music disappeared? If so, what did you do?

Are you subscribed to Apple Music or iTunes Match and using the iCloud Music Library?

Or did you just sync the music over USB to the iPhone 6s?

There seems to be some key information missing here.

In any case, if the music now only exists on the iPhone 6s for whatever reason, and you have no access to it on the PC, then your only course of action is to extract the music from the iPhone 6s and restore your iTunes Music Library to the PC.

click here ➜ Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community

May 1, 2024 8:34 AM in response to Scott827

Scott827 wrote:

I've been using iTunes for YEARS. I've loaded music from CD's into iTunes over the years and now iTunes doesn't recognize/authorize the sharing of this music between devices.

What do you mean it doesn't recognize / authorize sharing of music?

What is or is not happening?

What devices are involved?

Now what do I do?

Explain your issue clearly and in as much detail as possible and maybe someone can help you resolve it.

May 1, 2024 9:23 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 - thanks for reaching out. I have about 5,000 songs on my iPhone 6s. A lot of the music was loaded from CD's over the years through my PC via iTunes. I used to be able to "share" music between the phone & PC. I even added a 2nd iPhone (13s) and "shared" music between the all of them through sync. Now, all the music/playlists are on my iPhone 6s, but the PC and 13s ONLY have the music purchased through iTunes.

How do I share ALL of the music, even songs loaded from CD's over the years, across all of the devices?

Thanks!

May 1, 2024 1:27 PM in response to Phil0124

Yeah, it's weird but the only music in the Library on the PC is what was purchased through iTunes (and none of my playlists are shown on the pc). In years past I used to sync between the phone & PC with USB cable. I hadn't synced for a year and now when I do it warns that if I continue, it will erase all the music from my phone.

It's as if iTunes won't touch the songs loaded from CD's for fear of copyright laws. I'm not subscribed to Apple Music, iTunes Match and I don't use the iCloud Music Library.

I'm kind of hesitant to subscribe, I already paid for the music when I bought the CD's years ago.

Even the people in the Apple Stores that I've talked to get real nervous and avoid direct answers.

May 2, 2024 8:38 AM in response to Scott827

Scott827 wrote:

Yeah, it's weird but the only music in the Library on the PC is what was purchased through iTunes (and none of my playlists are shown on the pc). In years past I used to sync between the phone & PC with USB cable. I hadn't synced for a year and now when I do it warns that if I continue, it will erase all the music from my phone.

As mentioned that suggests the library on the computer is different to the one originally used to sync to the iPhone

It's as if iTunes won't touch the songs loaded from CD's for fear of copyright laws. I'm not subscribed to Apple Music, iTunes Match and I don't use the iCloud Music Library.

That's not it. iTunes has no issues with songs loaded from CDs.

I'm kind of hesitant to subscribe, I already paid for the music when I bought the CD's years ago.

Subscribing will do nothing unless the Music exist on the computer. At this point subscribing to Apple Music is pointless.

Please answer the questions as posted. Its hard to help if we don't know what happened.

You can try looking for your music files in the Music folder of your user profile. If you do find them, there probably will be an iTunes Library.itl file near there.

Thanks @thefiend.

iTunes won't 'share' music from my iphone to my PLC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.