Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Accessing Encrypted Local Backup

I have a question in regard to how encrypted backups work.

I downloaded iTunes and then backed up Phone A. During this process it asked me to create a password to encrypt the backup. I went ahead and created a password.

Later on, I backed up Phone B onto iTunes (I was not prompted with anything regarding passwords).

After that, I was setting up Phone C and selected "Transfer from Mac or PC" in order to restore the phone from Phone B backup.

I connected Phone C to computer, selected restore, and was prompted for a password. I tried using the password I setup for Phone A but it kept being rejected.

So is the encryption password it is looking for specific to each phone? Phone A is my phone in this scenario. Phone B and C are a friends phone I was helping setup. Is this password it is looking for, some password that was setup by Phone B when it got backed up another time on a different computer?

Thanks

Posted on May 2, 2024 11:31 AM

1 reply

Accessing Encrypted Local Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.