Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

micro soft has locked up my computer

I was on Google Chrome on Facebook. I got a notice from Microsoft that they had locked by computer because it had been compromised. It is only affecting Google but I need google to work on some documents.

I don't use Microsoft or even have it on this

. How do I get it off?

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on May 2, 2024 12:03 PM

4 replies

May 2, 2024 4:21 PM in response to dmcminne

You are being lied to by criminals, trying to compromise your computer and/or get your money.

Never call any number "handed to you" or click any links in messages like that. Never provide personal information unless YOU initiated the contact using web site names or phone numbers you derived yourself from other sources.

Follow den.thed good advice above, and feel free to ask again if you need more help.

May 2, 2024 12:25 PM in response to dmcminne

This sounds like a scam that is affecting to your Google Chrome browser.

see > Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Restart your Mac in Safe Mode followed by a normal restart.

see > Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Then open Google Chrome and clear all web-site data.

see > https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

May 5, 2024 6:35 AM in response to dmcminne

dmcminne wrote:

I was on Google Chrome on Facebook. I got a notice from Microsoft that they had locked by computer because it had been compromised.

Clearly a scam. The message is not from Microsoft – but from criminals who want you to believe that they are Microsoft, the better to encourage you to deliver yourself into their "tender", "loving" hands.

Federal Trade Commission – How To Spot, Avoid, and Report Tech Support Scams

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages – Apple Community

May 5, 2024 6:41 AM in response to dmcminne

One more that seems appropriate here:

Microsoft Support – Protect yourself from tech support scams

"Scammers might also initiate contact by displaying fake error messages on websites you visit, displaying support numbers and enticing you to call. They may also put your browser in full screen mode and display pop-up messages that won't go away, apparently locking your browser. These fake error messages aim to scare you into calling their "technical support hotline".

Important: Microsoft error and warning messages never include phone numbers.

Help Microsoft stop scammers, whether they claim to be from Microsoft or not, by reporting tech support scams at: www.microsoft.com/reportascam "

micro soft has locked up my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.