Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Re-pitching midi notes while retaining the rhythm in the score editor

Before Apple adapted Logic Pro, the program had an amazing feature. You could activate the Midi step input, set the playhead to the beginning of a note and start playing. It would then keep the rhythm of the existing notes and replace them with the note (or notes) you are playing, jumping from note to note while skipping over rests.

How is this useful? Imagine you played in a funky trumpet part. Now you want to create a 3 piece horn section, or a string section, or a piano part that has the same rhythm, but different notes (or a complete harmonization).

All of this happened in step mode, so you had all the time you need to think about each voicing.

Apple has killed this amazing feature, that every music notation program has (even Musescore, which is free!).

So, what is my question here? Well, maybe the feature is still there and I just can't find it. If so, please enlighten me.

And if it is indeed gone, please send apple a feature request for it.

Cheers!

Posted on May 2, 2024 4:32 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2024 3:57 PM in response to yoyoBen

My friend,

I am not talking about step input. Step input is not the same as the re-pitch tool in notation software. Step input still requires you to define the note values and rests. The re-pitch tool leaves the note and rest values that have previously been inputted and simply change the pitches played on a connected midi keyboard.

I made a video about this here. You might benefit from watching it.

Repitch example video

May 4, 2024 6:40 AM in response to CCTM

I know that. But this is not what I mean. Did you watch my video?

The point of the Re-pitch tool is that you can completely re-pitch a melody by just playing the notes on the midi keyboard, and the playhead will automatically jump to the next note in the timeline skipping over any rests. All you have to do is play and all the notes will be adjusted keeping there original note values.

And that's not what Logic does when you activate Midi step input. In Logic you have to set the correct note value first, move the playhead to the note you want to re-pitch, select the note, then play the notes. This takes way too much time.

Here is my video explaining how Re-pitch works in Finale. Again, Logic 9 had this exact feature. After Apple bought Logic, it disappeared. I would like to have it back. And I would hope everybody who arranges music would send Apple a feature request.

Re-pitching midi notes while retaining the rhythm in the score editor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.