Lost Screen Recording

Hi there,

I had done a screen recording for almost and hour using quicktime today and after completing the recording, I tried to Airdrop the recording but it failed and as soon as I clicked on cancel button for Airdrop the screen recording disappeared.

i have tried to look for it everywhere in the files, desktop as well as in the Library (Auto Saved information).

however, I still couldn’t find the video.

Can someone please help if you know how to recover the video?

Thanks

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on May 2, 2024 11:27 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2024 5:19 AM in response to malay85

do you have "Show Floating Thumbnail" enabled? when active, the recording will temporarily show up on the bottom right of your screen before being saved and moving to the chosen “save to” location. I have seen issues when others (and myself) that when interacting with the "floating thumbnail" it can cause the recording to disappear, never to be found again. that is why I personally ALWAYS leave "show floating thumbnail" disabled.

May 2, 2024 11:30 PM in response to malay85

Hi! Thats awful, Im gonna drop some tips that might help, but next time save and backup

Check the Recent Folders:

• By default, QuickTime saves screen recordings in the Movies folder within your user directory. However, since you tried AirDropping it, it might be in the Downloads folder momentarily before the AirDrop failed.

• Open Finder and navigate to both Movies and Downloads folders. Look for any recently created files (sort by "Date Modified") that might be your screen recording.

2. Use Spotlight Search:

• Spotlight search can help you find files based on their name, creation date, or keywords. Open Spotlight by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of your screen.

• In the search bar, type any keywords you remember from the screen recording (e.g., the application you were recording, a specific action you captured).

• Look for any .mov files (QuickTime movie format) that might be your lost recording.

3. Check for Auto-Saved Files (Less Likely):

• While less likely for a long recording, macOS sometimes auto-saves files in progress. This feature is more common for documents but can occasionally work with other file types.

• Open Finder and navigate to Go > Go to Folder.

• In the path bar, type ~/Library/Autosave Information (without quotes) and press Enter.

• Look for any .mov files with timestamps close to when you finished the recording. However, keep in mind this might not be successful for such a long recording.

4. Data Recovery Software (Last Resort):

• If none of the above methods work, you can try using data recovery software. However, there's no guarantee this will work, especially if the file wasn't saved properly.

• Important: Before using data recovery software, make sure you don't write any new data to your hard drive. This can overwrite the lost recording and make it even harder to recover.

• Research and choose reputable data recovery software specifically designed for macOS. Be cautious of free data recovery tools, as some might be unreliable or even contain malware.

Here are some additional tips:

• Check for Temporary Files: In rare cases, the recording might be stuck in a temporary location. However, this is unlikely for a completed recording.

• Contact Apple Support: If none of the above methods work, you can contact Apple Support for further assistance. While they might not be able to recover the lost file, they might have additional suggestions or troubleshooting steps specific to your situation.

let me know if you get it back!

Lost Screen Recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.