Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Clean System Data on Mac

I store almost all of my files on external drives, yet my Mac has 487.35 GB used out of 494.38 total. 295.76 GB of it is System Data. I tried using the Terminal to find and clear TimeMachine backups, but Terminal shows me no TM backups whatsoever. I tried CleanMy Mac X and it cleaned about 3 BG of data from my drive, not even touching the System Data clog.

Only 109 GB are applications, the OS takes up less than 28 GB, less than 56 GB are documents and "Music Creation."

What other options do I have? Do I need to take this computer to a Genius Bar?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:00 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2024 7:20 AM in response to CGyves

DON'T live CleanMyMac (sometimes referred to as "BrickMyMac") installed, it is NOT benign.

Use one of the Utilities mentioned in this article. Use an Admin account. The scan takes a while, up to a quarter hour. when completed it will identify the largest files, for the most immediate impact.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

Clean System Data on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.