Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac Studio M1 Max slowing down to a crawl

My Mac Studio 32gb M1 Max has a consistent problem. It gradually slows down to a crawl over several hours and becomes almost unusable. Typing in Mail and Safari is extremely slow. When I reset/shutdown my Mac it goes back to normal again but starts the cycle of slowing down over the next few hours to a crawl. It felt like a memory leak issue but cannot work out what programme is doing this. I am using Sonoma 14.4.1 and have rebuilt the OS system but that did not solve the problem. How do I solve this issue?

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on May 5, 2024 3:48 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2024 7:34 AM in response to Trevor Craig

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

¿do you have anything resembling those installed?

Mac Studio M1 Max slowing down to a crawl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.