Screen mirroring an iPhone to macbook with external displays

I use a Macbook Air M1, with an additional monitor from BenQ. When I use screen mirroring on my iPhone to my Macbook, the screen mirroring takes up both displays with only a button to close it, and a button to select which display to use. I would like to open the screen mirroring on just 1 monitor while I free up the other display (either monitor or the macbook screen).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on May 5, 2024 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 5:36 PM

For the benefit of anyone else who has the necessary equipment with which to recreate the issue – an iPhone, and a recent Mac with two or more screens – the feature is called "AirPlay to Mac."

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

System requirements for Continuity features on Apple devices - Apple Support

The Apple documentation doesn't say much of anything about how things are supposed to work if the Mac has two or more screens. So this may be a "corner case" that people rarely come across or think about.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 5:36 PM in response to SpencerDime

For the benefit of anyone else who has the necessary equipment with which to recreate the issue – an iPhone, and a recent Mac with two or more screens – the feature is called "AirPlay to Mac."

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

System requirements for Continuity features on Apple devices - Apple Support

The Apple documentation doesn't say much of anything about how things are supposed to work if the Mac has two or more screens. So this may be a "corner case" that people rarely come across or think about.

May 10, 2024 12:57 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Thank you so much for the responding. I know this is not a hotline to Apple Support. Byt WheelieNick sounded like he had the solution. And really, I have checked the Apple documentation and it doesn't say anything about the issue we have. Looks like Apple does this on purpose because there are paid apps on the App Store which can get this done. I just don't want to pay for something that Apple's in-built feature can do significantly better.

Screen mirroring an iPhone to macbook with external displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.