MacBook lagging when charging

Hi guys/gals. I need some help here.

I have a MacBook Pro 2017, Ventura Touch Bar and since last month every time I connect it to power - only when battery reaches 10% - it starts lagging as if the battery was almost dead (even though it’s truly charging).

Suddenly I cannot work anymore. Everything takes time.

The battery is normal, I already tried to restart it, change the usb-c input and also close down applications, but still lags.

Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 6, 2024 2:26 AM

3 replies

May 6, 2024 9:00 AM in response to Civerts

Civerts wrote:

Hi guys/gals. I need some help here.

I have a MacBook Pro 2017, Ventura Touch Bar and since last month every time I connect it to power - only when battery reaches 10% - it starts lagging as if the battery was almost dead (even though it’s truly charging).

Suddenly I cannot work anymore. Everything takes time.

The battery is normal, I already tried to restart it, change the usb-c input and also close down applications, but still lags.

Can anyone help me?

Don't let the battery get down to 10% if that is your issue. It is almost dead !

The rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only—this is how you help optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

May 6, 2024 12:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas

So, that is not the issue. The charging happens and my battery is normal, I'm not plugging and unplugging all the time. Once is 10%, I start charging and I do it until the end, but for a about a month now, maybe more, whenever I start charging while working - and I do work with Premiere Pro and Adobe. Maybe that's the latest update, because it wasn't like this back in in March or February, or maybe it's something else I don't know, that's why I'm asking here.

I already checked everything that is usually checked, even tried to reset the SMC, to no changes.

May 6, 2024 4:15 PM in response to Civerts

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

¿are you running anything like that?

MacBook lagging when charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.