JVC digital camera not recognised by M1 Mac mini 2020 (14.4.1), Firewire thunderbolt

I have a JVC digital camera whose tapes I'd like to digitize, so I bought a mini DV to Firewire 800 cable, a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and then a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter, but the camera isn't recognized by my 2020 M1 mac mini running MacOs Sonoma 14.4.1. Any idea what I can do?

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 6, 2024 3:57 AM

8 replies

May 8, 2024 6:53 AM in response to sébastien193

Hi,

According to iMovie for macOS supported cameras - Apple Support in fine:

"iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

In order to avoid difficulties with a series of FireWire and Thunderbolt adapters, and any incompatibilities involving modern iMovie versions, you may want to investigate whether an older Mac (with built-in FireWire ports, and an appropriate operating system with iMovie) can be located and used instead.

May 7, 2024 1:23 PM in response to sébastien193

Hmmm… looks like you’re correct… anyways, try this : Catalina support for MiniDV camcorders - Apple Community

otherwise??? Analog outputs from camcorder+ usb analog capture device+ capturing software… maybe this ? https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028243991-Elgato-Video-Capture-Software-Release-Notes… the only drivers/software I could find for this model of camcorder were for Snow Leopard( ish) so clearly not useful anymore…

JVC digital camera not recognised by M1 Mac mini 2020 (14.4.1), Firewire thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.