Macbook Pro Starting Apps when I'm typing

My macbook pro is starting the music app w/ a pop-up every few keystrokes. It isn't on the System logins, and I tried to force quit but it opened after a while. It is also starting a paused video after typing a bit and even if I minimize, it will start back up again.

How do I stop this? I've done all the things (except download 3rd party apps) that responses to similar questions have suggested. This is incredibly annoying and its making it difficult to work.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 6, 2024 1:19 PM

3 replies

May 6, 2024 6:37 PM in response to iwanttogobacktopaperandpencil

iwanttogobacktopaperandpencil wrote:

Hi,

Sorry--
1) I went to the System Settings-General-Login items and Music is not in the login window.
2) I emptied my cache
3) I restarted the computer
4) I forced quit (a gazillion times as Music reopens on its own)
5) I did not do Safe Mode because I don't know if that's a permanent solution or a "just for now" solution, and I just bought this computer

As far as the other goes--I was watching a video, paused it to respond to emails and do a couple of internet searches. As I was typing the emails and subsequently in the search toolbar--the video kept turning back on after typing a few words--sometimes a few characters and sometimes a sentence. I would have to bring the tab back up (as I minimized it thinking that would help) every few seconds or so to repause the video. I finally decided to finish it so I could shut it off before doing my other tasks.

I'm not computer savvy but I can follow directions pretty well. I could perhaps boot it in a diagnostic mode (like I've done to a PC) but I have no idea what I'm looking at or how to fix anything. I would greatly appreciate any insight you or anyone has. I have seen some 3rd party suggestions on other posts, but I'd rather go to the apple bar than download something I probably wouldn't know how to use even if it was legit.

Thank you!

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all non-essential  peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

May 6, 2024 4:03 PM in response to iwanttogobacktopaperandpencil

iwanttogobacktopaperandpencil wrote:

My macbook pro is starting the music app w/ a pop-up every few keystrokes. It isn't on the System logins, and I tried to force quit but it opened after a while. It is also starting a paused video after typing a bit and even if I minimize, it will start back up again.
How do I stop this?
I've done all the things (except download 3rd party apps) that responses to similar questions have suggested.

List what you have done to no avail... otherwise we have to play a game of Whack-0-Mole.

May 6, 2024 6:21 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi,

Sorry--

1) I went to the System Settings-General-Login items and Music is not in the login window.

2) I emptied my cache

3) I restarted the computer

4) I forced quit (a gazillion times as Music reopens on its own)

5) I did not do Safe Mode because I don't know if that's a permanent solution or a "just for now" solution, and I just bought this computer

As far as the other goes--I was watching a video, paused it to respond to emails and do a couple of internet searches. As I was typing the emails and subsequently in the search toolbar--the video kept turning back on after typing a few words--sometimes a few characters and sometimes a sentence. I would have to bring the tab back up (as I minimized it thinking that would help) every few seconds or so to repause the video. I finally decided to finish it so I could shut it off before doing my other tasks.

I'm not computer savvy but I can follow directions pretty well. I could perhaps boot it in a diagnostic mode (like I've done to a PC) but I have no idea what I'm looking at or how to fix anything. I would greatly appreciate any insight you or anyone has. I have seen some 3rd party suggestions on other posts, but I'd rather go to the apple bar than download something I probably wouldn't know how to use even if it was legit.

Thank you!

Macbook Pro Starting Apps when I'm typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.