Macbook pro 2013 charging problem. Battery or charger?

Hello,

I just bought a sh macbook pro 2013. The problem is that the battery percentage fluctuates like from 44% to 26% to 56% and so on, just up and down really quick. It does that when it is plugged in and when it’s not. The charger also makes some kind of noise and i don’t really know if that is normal. Battery health: battery service. Should i replace the battery? Buy a new charger? Or any other ideas? Please, it is my first and i don’t know what to do.

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on May 6, 2024 2:08 PM

2 replies

May 6, 2024 3:50 PM in response to mihaela06s

mihaela06s wrote:

Hello,
I just bought a sh macbook pro 2013. The problem is that the battery percentage fluctuates like from 44% to 26% to 56% and so on, just up and down really quick. It does that when it is plugged in and when it’s not. The charger also makes some kind of noise and i don’t really know if that is normal. Battery health: battery service. Should i replace the battery? Buy a new charger? Or any other ideas? Please, it is my first and i don’t know what to do.

On an Intel Mac

Try resetting the System Management Controller Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

May 10, 2024 10:24 PM in response to mihaela06s

The battery is bad. Unfortunately Apple no longer services the 2013 model since it is obsolete. You will need to have a third party battery installed which is not easy to do. Having a professional experience tech perform the battery replacement is recommended even by OWC which sells the replacement battery. I have seen a lot of people attempt to replace their battery and have accidentally damaged the Logic Board in the process.

The quality of third party Lithium batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a respected vendor. OWC and iFixIt are your best options for a replacement battery.

Macbook pro 2013 charging problem. Battery or charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.