Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How to recover stolen iPhone using IMEI and Serial number

Hello

i am here to ask a question that i had an iphone x but recently it got stolen from me and I can’t trace it on find my iphone but i have it’s imei number and serial number so what should i do to recover my iphone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on May 6, 2024 4:15 PM

4 replies

May 6, 2024 8:25 PM in response to Basit2222

yes it displays (offline)

That's a good news / bad news situation.

The good news is that the Find My option on your phone has been enabled.

The bad news is there are several reasons why your phone cannot display its current location:

• The battery has run down
  • The phone has been powered off
  • The phone does not have an Internet connection where it is currently located

All that you can do at this point is keep checking a few times each day to see if the status of the phone might have changed.

Unfortunately, experienced iPhone thieves are very fond of placing phones in a special type of bag that will not allow the phone to either receive or send a signal.......so that might be a factor here as well.

I'm sorry, but you have to be realistic about things here. The chances that you will ever see the phone again are very very small. Even if the phone might appear, you would never want to try to retrieve the phone by yourself. People have been killed trying to do this.

May 6, 2024 4:22 PM in response to Basit2222

The IMEI and serial number are not useful to track the phone's location.

The IMEI can be used by your carrier in serious cases of missing persons, but a court order is required for this. And, the best that the carrier could probably do is have a record of the cell towers that were used with the phone.....not an actual location of the phone.

What happens when you try to use Find My to track the phone?

Does Find My display a message of "Not Found", or a message of "Offline"?

May 6, 2024 8:00 PM in response to Basit2222

The chance that you will see a stolen iPhone again are small.

But since the phone is apparently still associated with your account, you should mark it as Lost. This will trigger Activation Lock and prevent the thieves from resetting your phone to "make it their own." The more that thieves, fences, and their potential customers discover that stolen iPhones turn into Activation-Locked "bricks", the less likely thieves are to steal iPhones in the first place, as iPhones will no longer represent "easy ill-gained money."

How to recover stolen iPhone using IMEI and Serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.