Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why is my remaining storage so low?

I have an M1 Mac mini with storage capacity of 245 GB. Until recently, after taking into account the storage of apps and documents I was left with about 70 GB which is a comfortable margin for my usual activities. However, on checking this morning I find that I only had about 40 GB left. One item which surprised me was iCloud drive using 29.9 gb of storage. The reason I bought another 200gb of cloud storage was to relieve the pressure on my Mac Mini's HD storage. All my documents are stored in iCloud Drive with some of them also downloaded on to my computer or transferred to my 1tb external drive. You will see that the documents I download on my computer only use 9 GB of HD storage. If you look at my iCloud account you will see that that also shows I'm storing 29.9 gb of Documents on my iCloud storage plan. So by uploading all my documents on iCloud Drive I don't relieve any pressure on my Mac Mini's storage. Is this correct? If so what's the point in paying for more storage in iCloud if all the documents in iCloud Drive are also taking up space on my Mac mini? I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me the theory and practice of using iCloud and iCloud Drive.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 7, 2024 3:50 AM

4 replies

May 7, 2024 5:15 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian. I already back everything up on a 1 tb hard drive (and also on my Time Machine). One of the reasons for loading Files on to iCloud Drive is that all disc drives have a nasty habit of degrading and crashing. I'had 2 Time Machine discs crash in the course of the 10 years of owning my last Mac which was an iMac. Only the fact that I saved all my files directly to iCloud Drive meant that I could access them without the interference of a dodgy disc. My iMac's hdd gave up last year and it had a 1 tb storage capacity of which I never used more than 200gb. Hence my choice of a 245gb Mac mini combined with a 1 tB external ssd and a new disc for Time Machine. However this is all rather obiter dicta as I still don't understand iCloud storage in relation to iCloud drive

Why is my remaining storage so low?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.