Music CD ejects from external drive before all music transfers.

I have a 2016 iMac with an Apple external drive. I use it to transfer music CD's to my music library. Occasionally, I get CD's that will not transfer all the music before it ejects from the external drive. I have OCD with my CD's not having scratches, that that is not the issue. And, it is not just a single CD. I have had this happen to several CD's. Sometimes it transfers all but the last song on the CD. Sometimes it gets halfway through the songs. Sometimes it ejects from the first song. There are times it takes me almost a dozen times to get problematic CD's too transfer all the music by trying several times. Each re-try, I unselect songs that already transferred to help get the rest of the songs transferred to my library. Could this be an issue with the external drive since it has happened to different CD's over time? I have the following selection already checked “Use error correction when reading Audio CDs.” 

Thanks for the help!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2024 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2024 1:06 PM

If you do a google search on the internet, it may be the lens is dirty and cannot read tracks when the disk spins faster on the inner tracks. If a disk cannot be read, the superdrive automatically ejects it.

Try a can of air first, then try a cleaning disk for CD drives.

Otherwise, there is a chance the laser inside or the photo detector is failing which is an expensive repair.

Lasers don't last forever and that would be my guess if there is a hardware failure.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2024 1:06 PM in response to CrymsonGlory

If you do a google search on the internet, it may be the lens is dirty and cannot read tracks when the disk spins faster on the inner tracks. If a disk cannot be read, the superdrive automatically ejects it.

Try a can of air first, then try a cleaning disk for CD drives.

Otherwise, there is a chance the laser inside or the photo detector is failing which is an expensive repair.

Lasers don't last forever and that would be my guess if there is a hardware failure.

Music CD ejects from external drive before all music transfers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.