Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Disney demanding password change

Disney+ on my Apple TV suddenly requires me to update my password. The problem is this is my Apple ID password, used on three dozen devices and accounts. I’m not about to change that for one service. However, I’ve paid for a year of membership that’s only halfway through. Disney will let me change to a different email address, but that does not honor my existing subscription and my existing subscription cannot be used without changing the password. It’s a real pickle. Not sure what these companies were thinking or how to resolve this.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on May 7, 2024 7:56 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2024 9:49 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

I would be fine with that, but the subscription was created through my Apple ID account. So the screens seemed to suggest that to continue I had to change the master password I use with Apple in order to keep my subscription. That's what is so confusing and disturbing. It even said I would have to log out of all my devices. The overall impression is that the subscription is indelibly linked to my Apple ID. I'm completely in favor of setting a unique ID for my Disney+ subscription should that be a separate entity. After all, I have more than 1400 separate passwords in my password manager. I've never actually had to log into Disney+ on AppleTV as a separate account before; it was always something that happened from Apple directly.

May 8, 2024 7:44 AM in response to Adwiz

Even for things I've subscribed to through Apple, they have their own login creditials. Disney wants you to update your password for your Disney+ login, not your Apple ID. The fact that you chose to use the same information for both doesn't mean that changing your password for Disney will change your Apple ID password.

And I agree with what Mac Jim ID said. Reusing log-in creditials across multiple services is a disaster waiting to happen. It's one of the major ways miscreants find their way into your accounts.

Disney demanding password change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.