Mac OS Sonoma on Mac Mini won't let me change my login password

I am trying to use the Terminal to create a bootable USB drive. After a few tries and searches, I finally got the code right (I'm hoping) and then it asks for my password. Since no one else uses this machine, and I am rather lazy and don't want to type a password every time, hundreds of times a day, I just use spacebar, as I have on all my Macs. I am now on a Mac Mini. This password works on the Mac Mini everywhere else, except in the Terminal.

When the terminal asks for a password, I hit the spacebar, and it rejects this as my password. I go to Users & Groups > My Name Admin > Password > Change. I press spacebar for old password, and 1234 for new password, and it tells me that the passwords don't match.

Apparently I need a real password to complete my task in Terminal, but the system won't let me change it.

Now I am stuck.

Now what?

Thanks for your help.

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on May 8, 2024 1:27 AM

2 replies

May 8, 2024 1:42 AM in response to jcarruth19

jcarruth19 wrote:

I am trying to use the Terminal to create a bootable USB drive. After a few tries and searches, I finally got the code right (I'm hoping) and then it asks for my password. Since no one else uses this machine, and I am rather lazy and don't want to type a password every time, hundreds of times a day, I just use spacebar, as I have on all my Macs. I am now on a Mac Mini. This password works on the Mac Mini everywhere else, except in the Terminal.

When the terminal asks for a password, I hit the spacebar, and it rejects this as my password. I go to Users & Groups > My Name Admin > Password > Change. I press spacebar for old password, and 1234 for new password, and it tells me that the passwords don't match.

Apparently I need a real password to complete my task in Terminal, but the system won't let me change it.

Now I am stuck.

Now what?

Thanks for your help.

There are two methods as outlined below

One for Intel Computers

The other for Apple Silicon Computers

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

➡️ Intel Computer

Shutdown the computer 

Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough to execute the 2 keyboard commands 

Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

Press Return key

Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

➡️ Apple Silicon M1 / M2 /M3 Computer 

Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose.

Do not  attempt a Restart to access this feature. The computer Must be Shutdown and pause for about 10 seconds before moving forwards 

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

Click Options, then click Continue. 

Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

Press Return key

Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Mac OS Sonoma on Mac Mini won't let me change my login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.