Newsroom Update

Apple announces new accessibility features, including Eye Tracking, Music Haptics, and Vocal Shortcuts. Learn more >

IPad pro voice control response delay

I use voice control on an iPad Pro due to disability problems.

I've noticed over the past couple months that it takes 5 to 10 seconds when I call out a number to respond. The delayed response is very frustrating and sometimes I'll have to say it again and then it begins to respond to what i previously said which further confuses what I'm trying to do since it's now gonna respond to the second time I say a number.

Also suri stops working quite a bit and I have to disable Voice control and then Siri works. I relaunch voice control and then everything's fine for a while. I spoke to customer service about this and a couple people acknowledged it as a problem and most representatives are unaware that this is an issue.

Has anybody experienced these problems with respect to lag response when you call out a number using voice control?

I call up customer service, several times, and no one has ever raised this has an issue. They don't have a way to check since if people were calling about this issue they don't keep track of these calls. They only track them if the engineers get involved with a ticket. And the only way to create a ticket if you prove your case and to prove your case you need to do a factory refresh on your iPad and then a screen record working with customer service the problem to document the problem. For someone with a disability that's an incredibly difficult undertaking to go through all that manual effort and then working with customer service to prove the case. I have done a screen share with customer service where they clearly see the delays but for some reason Apple don't care about this. So I've proved the situation but they only want it to be proved after a factory reset. Very frustrating.

It's very clear to me that as iOS systems before more complex with ever increasing updates Voice control capabilities are being degraded. Further I'm not sure Apple cares much about people with disabilities.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on May 8, 2024 2:47 PM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 9:36 PM in response to zeppygoat

Hi zeppygoat

Thank you for your post about difficulties with Voice Control, and with Siri.

Am no expert in this area, yet your post surely deserves some response,

if only to get some discussion underway, and provide opportunities for others to join in.

Re: IPad pro voice control response delay :

it takes 5 to 10 seconds when I call out a number to respond

Am wondering which iPad Pro model you have, as, if you are using iPadOS 10 as your post suggests, you may be able to update or upgrade your iPad OS to a newer, more capable version.

Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Also, as you experience delays, am wondering if your iPad has enough memory / storage space free, in which to operate smoothly, and carry out the tasks you request:

If you want, see: How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Else:

Sometimes another app running in the background at the same time can cause a slow-down.

Try closing an app you are not needing and see if it helps or not, if not, close another app & see.

Re: Also suri stops working quite a bit and I have to disable Voice control and then Siri works.

You may need a strong. wi-fi or cellular connection for Siri to fulfill some requests

or

See: If "Hey Siri" isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support for tips

Also, restarting your iPhone can often help restore order if things are not working as expected.

(Eg: deletes temporary files, re-establishes connections, may update recent setting changes you. have made, and much more: If needed, see how to: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Re: "I call up customer service, several times ... "

Wondering if you have spoken with anyone in the Accessibility Support Team at Apple:

Eg: For help with particular accessibility software features:

See: How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

or there is also: Apple's Accessibility Support Website

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

or

If you want to provide feedback about (or contribute towards improvements to), an accessibility feature on an Apple product:

you can: email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

Re: with ever increasing updates Voice control capabilities are being degraded

Thank you for your opinion ... you use Voice Control, and I'm not so familiar with it.

See: Voice Control methods for iPadOS 10: Make a call, and Siri and Voice Control.

and

The newest Voice Control methods on iPad OS 17

(or you can choose an earlier iPadOS version at the top of the article, to compare):

Use Voice Control to interact with iPad - Apple Support

How to customize Voice Control commands on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

All the best :-)

IPad pro voice control response delay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.