Newsroom Update

Apple announces new accessibility features, including Eye Tracking, Music Haptics, and Vocal Shortcuts. Learn more >

Apple Car Play and Signia Hearing Aids not working easily together

My current iPhone is a 15 Pro Max. iOS is 17.4.1. I have used Apple Car Play with Phonak hearing aids in cars with whatever iPhone I had at the time with no problem for a number of years.

In switching to Signia's new Pure Charge and Go IX hearing aids I'm having a problem that I can't seem to resolve with Apple Car Play. If I'm listening to the radio and I make a call or take an incoming call (either of which come in on my car's speakers), the Signia hearing aids seize Apple Car Play and once the call is disconnected, I can't get Apple Car Play to go back to the radio. I see the station I want to listen to but under the volume bar are the words PHONE CALL. It usually takes more than 15 minutes to get the sound from my radio back. Turning the phone off and on does nothing. Turning the engine off and back on also does nothing.

My audiologist called Signia and they explained that the hearing aids have "priority." They suggested what they called a "non-foolproof solution" which is to use a wired connection (rather than wireless) for my phone in the car. I tried this and not only was it not foolproof, it was a non-solution. The same problem persists. All ideas appreciated!

Thanks, Stillwatergal

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on May 8, 2024 3:44 PM

3 replies

May 8, 2024 7:43 PM in response to stillwatergal

Hi stillwatergal,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "Signia's new Pure Charge and Go IX hearing aids:

I'm having a problem that I can't seem to resolve with Apple Car Play."

Am no expert in this area, yet your question surely deserves some response. This response may serve to at least get your discussion underway, so others have the opportunity to contribute.

Seems Pure Charge and Go IX is not listed in Apple's list of iPhone compatible hearing aids.

However the list does include:

Signia

• Pure Charge&Go
  • Pure Charge&Go Nx
  • Pure Charge&Go X

List of Made for iPhone hearing devices - Apple Support

Am wondering why your hearing aids model is not listed... especially as the IX model would likely be released before the X model that is listed ... perhaps Signia may know.

Eg: Signia has a "Device Compatibility" webpage where you scan a QR code to check:

https://www.signia.net/en-sg/support/compatibility/

Re: "once the call is disconnected, I can't get Apple Car Play to go back to the radio".

As CarPlay isn't working as you would expect it to, you may want to browse through Apple Support's online article: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

Eg Step 1 says:

"If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one".

Step 7 says:

"Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information".

All the best :-)

Apple Car Play and Signia Hearing Aids not working easily together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.