Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I update software on my apple watch 6? I keep getting an error message

How can I update the software on my apple watch series 6? It is currently 9.6.3. When I try to update, it says "an error occurred, unable to update now, try again or cancel". I have tried multiple times with the watch on and off the charger. Also tried turning off both my iphone X and my watch and back on again. Tried again after that, same message

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on May 8, 2024 4:03 PM

4 replies

May 8, 2024 7:03 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for responding. I did all of that - it didn't work, but after further research, I think I have found the problem. My watch is updated as much as it can be to stay compatible with my phone (X). My ios is up to date, but it is 16.7.7 (can't go higher), not 17+ which is what is required to update the watch to the next level. I think it does that to keep people like me from accidentally making their devices incompatible.

May 13, 2024 10:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes!!! It was time - 5 years old. I got an iphone pro last Thursday. Still getting some of the apps to work, and somehow my keychain passwords aren't working, but I'll get it straight. It pulls up passwords that it says were last used 12/31/01. Something weird about that! My watch software updated as soon as I paired it with the new phone. Thanks again for your help.

How do I update software on my apple watch 6? I keep getting an error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.