Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Old iPad2 activation

I can't activate my old iPad2. It was given to me when I retired, the email and password I used at work no longer connect as the ipad is off their system. I now have a new iTunes account, so stalemate.

iPad 2

Posted on May 8, 2024 10:13 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2024 3:59 AM in response to sharradogg49

1) Be aware that the iPad2 is a long ago obsolete 32-bit device. Given that all 32-bit Apps have been withdrawn from the Apple App Store, you'll no longer be able to download or install compatible Apps. Many online services and resources will similarly be inaccessible using the native Safari web browser. Even if you manage to resolve the immediate problem, your iPad2 will have very limited utility or usefulness.

2) If your AppleID account is associated with an email address that doesn't now exist, or is inaccessible to you, you will be unable to reset your AppleID account - or associate the account with a different email address. In such circumstances, re-activation of the obsolete iPad won't be possible.

Being mindful that your options are limited, you might try to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from [other] Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might be best advised to simply consider replacing your iPad. Even the current entry-level iPad9 supports the most recent version of iPadOS - and will run the vast majority of available Apps. Even the most basic current model offers utility and performance lights-years ahead of the iPad2.

Old iPad2 activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.