Docking station to support 3+ screens

Hello brains trust!

I'm looking for recommendations for a docking station for my MacbookPro (Apple M1 Pro Chip), 14" screen.

I currently have 2 x external monitors connected (1x60Hz, 1x 75Hz). I have another 60Hz monitor that I would like to use.

Everything that I've read says that I need to use a docking station (with DisplayLink or some other driver) to support this configuration.

The 60Hz is currently connected with USB-C, the 75Hz connected via HDMI. I'm not too phased if I have to get other cables to connect.

My question:

• What do I need to be able to connect 2 x 60Hz (24") monitors and 1 x 75Hz (27") monitor
  • 14" MacbookPro, Apple M1 Pro, currently running macOS Sonoma v14.4
  • Ideal world I'd be able to use the laptop as a 4th screen

Worth noting that I can extend to my iPad Pro easily (with 2 monitors + laptop) without any issues, but I do understand that this is because it is an Apple product.

Would love to know if anyone can do this without additional hardware, or if a docking station etc is required, how did you do it?

Thank you for any help!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 9, 2024 12:23 AM

6 replies

May 9, 2024 5:17 AM in response to CatalystCourt

The 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors."

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

To plug both in using a single Mac host port,

• That port needs to be a Thunderbolt port
  • The device connected to it needs to be a Thunderbolt device (e.g., Thunderbolt dock, not just plain USB-C dock)
  • The displays need to have resolutions of 4K or less

Many Thunderbolt docks will support a dual-monitor arrangement (in some fashion) if the computer does.

There is no dock or adapter that can increase the number of first-class, hardware-supported external display outputs. That is determined by the Mac's hardware and will never be more than two.

May 9, 2024 5:28 AM in response to CatalystCourt

There are workaround products (e.g., using DisplayLink) that may allow you to attach additional screens in a second class way. This involves running software on your computer that creates "virtual screens" and sends updates to an adapter / hub / dock equipped with a matching "magic decoder ring" chip set. There may be drawbacks such as

• Artifacts and lags, especially if trying to display rapidly-changing content
  • Having screens go blank when you try to play DRM-infested video from streaming movie/TV services
  • The possibility that updates to macOS will break the software that drives the extra screens.

Other options include

• AirPlay – to an Apple TV set-top box, an AirPlay-compatible "smart TV", or a Mac recent enough that it can act as an AirPlay Receiver
  • Sidecar – to an iPad (which you have been using with your iPad Pro)

May 9, 2024 5:41 AM in response to Servant of Cats

I'm really hoping for recommendations on a dock that will allow me to do this (hardware).

I'm aware that I can do it with Display link, currently struggling with the 3 x displays (specifically that 2 are 60Hz and 1 is 75Hz - most seem to want to only support 60Hz or below).

It's worth noting that I'm not concerned about potential minimal lags with external screens connected via a dock.

Are there any docks (hardware) that you have used in this configuration that you recommend?

Docking station to support 3+ screens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.