Issue with Face Recognition in Apple Photos

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing a problem with the Photos app on my MacBook M2 Max running Sonoma 14.4.1, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insights or solutions.

In my photo library, I have around 19,000 photos and 1,400 videos. I've spent a considerable amount of time tagging people's faces with names, and until recently, the face recognition feature was working quite well. However, now it seems to have stopped functioning correctly.

Whenever I import new photos, after a couple of days when the analysis completes, all individuals are tagged as "Unnamed," even though there are numerous existing photos of the same people in my library.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Are there any known fixes or workarounds that might help resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 9, 2024 2:12 AM

2 replies

May 9, 2024 7:13 AM in response to pacx87x

Have you opened the People album for a person with one of the unnamed faces, and tried "Confirm Additional Photos" in the menu list at the bottom? What happens?

As an aside, I would suggest that, like many of us, you open each person's people album, select all, and add a keyword for that person. Keywords are more reliable and robust than face names. For instance, if you export a picture to send to someone, it won't have face names, but you can have it carry the keywords. And keywords always survive an OS upgrade. Using keywords also lets you grab every picture with that person (using a Smart Album) and fixing face names if necessary. You can even use a Smart Album for

finding unnamed faces. (Wow-- I have work to do...)

Let us know how it goes...

Issue with Face Recognition in Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.