Email recipient sees the name I used for a contact when emailed

Hello,

This is with Mail on Iphone 14 pro.

I have a friend called John Doe, j*****@gmail.com, but for whatever reason in my IPhone contacts list I have saved them as "Mike Williams" j*****@gmail.com.

I write an email to a third person, Ruth, with John in cc, from my Iphone.

Ruth and I have never been in contact before (say she's a contractor I'm reaching out to). Neither have Ruth and John been in contact before. This is to say, Ruth doesn't have either of our email addresses nor names saved in her phone/computer. It's the first time ever she hears of us.

Ruth receives my email and she can see the name Mike Williams that I used in my phone for John Doe. That information seems indeed to be embedded in the source of the received email

To: Mike Williams <j****@gmail.com>

This seems like an unacceptable approach to one's privacy. It shouldn't be anyone's business as one saves contacts.

I have seen similar questions (including this where Gena_D claims this cannot happen without a security breach, which is absolutely not the case. I would have replied to that thread but I don't seem to be able to).

I hope this setting can be changed.

Thanks

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 9, 2024 6:18 AM

There are no replies.

Email recipient sees the name I used for a contact when emailed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.