Keyboard doesn’t work in MacBook OS utility

This Mac book pro A1502 was given to me as water damaged and diagnosed in an Apple Store years ago as a faulty logic board and top case connector.

I finally got to having a play with it and bought a used logic board from eBay.

the MacBook now starts up into the utility system every time as it appears the OS was wiped before I had it.

unfortunately the keyboard doesn’t work so I can’t connect to a network easily to allow the utility to connect and install a fresh os version. I was able to make a guest network on my router which allowed for a password free WiFi network but I still got an error message with no reply from server. Apparently this could be due to the internal time being wrong and to use the command prompt to check the time however I can’t use command prompt as no keyboard?

I’ve tried a SMC reset which did as expected but didn’t resolve the issue (confirming keyboard inputs??) I also tried I think a NVPRAM reset? But I couldn’t get that to happen.

any ideas? I’m going to try a USB keyboard once I get one but hoping someone might have something I can try?

thanks

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 9, 2024 1:37 PM

4 replies

May 10, 2024 12:19 PM in response to B1gR0b

A Mac can use a Windows keyboard just fine.

The Windows Key is the ⌘ key, opt/alt, control, shift, etc.

Reset NVRAM and SMC.

Option-Command-R to get the most recent macOS for the Mac.

If you’re still not getting a server connection, then add networking or something on the way to networking to the list of things that have probably failed.

May 10, 2024 2:37 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your help, a USB keyboard did work. However I’m still unable to connect to the server to begin install of the OS.

ive managed to check and confirm the date and time are correct.

anything else I can try to get OS installed? I don’t have another Mac to create a boot usb. The keyboard is also a windows one so some key commands don’t cross over?

thanks

rob

Keyboard doesn’t work in MacBook OS utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.