M1 Pro only allowing 2 extended displays, not 3

While working at my previous job, I had an M1 Pro 16" MacBook with 3 external displays - all 27" iMac style displays with adapters that converted thunderbolt to usb-c.

Now that I was called back to work (they let me keep the displays), I got another M1 Pro and now only 2 at a time will work - first one fine, 2nd one fine, 3rd one blank. remove 1st or 2nd and now the 3rd one works with the other that was left in.

In the time between original job and being called back, I purchased my own 16" mbp M1 Max. I tried it as well and same thing - only 2 were supported, third one blank and if removed either of the first two, the third one came on just fine.

Any ideas why, if I remember correctly, why only 2 extended displays max seem to be supported?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 10, 2024 9:18 AM

3 replies

May 10, 2024 9:38 AM in response to dandabble

With one minor exception, the same rules we learned for the M1 and M2 still apply to the M3 models. Display interfaces are generated deep inside the system on a chip. How many there are depends on the exact type of Processor:

M3 (plain) like the 13-in and 15-in supports up to ONE External fully hardware-accelerated external display. Except the M3 MacBook Air models with 13 or 15-in display, which can support a second external display instead of the built-in display when you close the cover on the built-in display.

M3 PRO processor supports up to Two fully hardware-accelerated external displays.

M3 MAX processor supports up to Four fully hardware-accelerated external displays.

Tech Specs now available here:

MacBook Pro - Tech Specs - Apple

MacBook Pro - Tech Specs - Apple

M1 Pro only allowing 2 extended displays, not 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.