Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mid 2014 Macbook Pro doesn't recognise Panasonic NV GS17 Camcorder in iMovie

Mid 2014 Macbook Pro doesn't recognise my Panasonic NV GS17 Camcorder in iMovie. Am wanting to upload DV tape footage. I have connected the device using the firewire port using the appropriate adapter and cable for the camera. I have fired up iMovie and the camcorder in different orders to get to try and get iMovie to recognise the camera but without success. Have also rebooted the laptop several times. Has anyone got any further ideas short of getting new cables? I have used the camcorder successfully in the past up, so whether there's recent software incompatibility I don't know? Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 12, 2024 11:55 AM

9 replies

May 13, 2024 8:45 AM in response to PauloDeano

Hi,

Often camera recognition problems are caused by defective cables or adapters, or cables not tightly connected. Check through all that and see if you get recognition.

Also, you can try toggling your camera on and off to see if you can trigger recognition.

Another thing you can do is try to import into QuickTimePlayer rather than iMovie.

Importing DV into iMovie 10 can be somewhat hit or miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

-- Rich

May 13, 2024 11:38 AM in response to Rich839

Hi, thanks for the advice. Short of getting new cables this doesn’t appear to have made the connection unfortunately in iMovie or QuickTime. The system seems to recognise the cables under System Report. The Thunderbolt adapter is recognised under Thunderbolt specs and FireWire seems to recognise the FireWire cable. I maybe need to try a new FireWire cable although the existing one is in really condition/barely used. Thanks

Mid 2014 Macbook Pro doesn't recognise Panasonic NV GS17 Camcorder in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.