error:"name of your Computer already in use"

Hiya, I keep getting this error message whenever I restart -

The number was at (597)

I've just renamed the Mac in sharing / computer name - edit.

2 minutes later and a restart its already become "Mac Name" (2)

Running MAC M1 Monterey 12.7.4

Any ideas? Doesn't seem cause any problems I'm aware of but I don't like it :)

Mac mini

Posted on May 13, 2024 9:08 AM

5 replies

May 13, 2024 11:32 AM in response to andy1210support

Are you perhaps using both WiFi and Ethernet?

See Barney-15E's reply here..

error:"name of your Computer already in u… - Apple Community

Also/or...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

May 14, 2024 12:00 PM in response to andy1210support

What other devices are connected to your Router orModem?

Do any have a static IP or do they all use DHCP?

Which Interface do you use?

Almodt sounds like a problem with yourRouter or Hot Spot, but something seems to be breaking/making the connection over & over.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.