Advice needed for transcoding 4K HLG BT 2020 to Rec. 709 1080 P

I'm working in Final Cut Pro on a low budget feature length documentary filmed on an 8 Bit, full frame DSLR camera in 4K HLG BT. 2020. The first screening will be on a 1080 P Christie Projector. The color graded project and rendered files look perfect on an HDR monitor. When I export as 1080 P using all the correct HDR tools, the highlights are blown out and the image quality is poor. I also tried tried transcoding the HDR rendered file in Apple Compressor into a Rec 709 file and again the highlights were blown out.

Do I have to do a separate color grade in Rec 709 or am I missing something?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 14, 2024 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2024 7:01 AM

Just an SDR project. Keep the library wide dynamic range.

9 replies

May 14, 2024 8:40 AM in response to Quillnib

Quillnib wrote:

Thanks Tom,
If I am going to have both the HDR and SDR in the same library on the same External SSD, I guess in the interest of managing memory, I should be creating a Library for every scene and export the scene as master files. which I can later stitch together.

You are overcomplicating things.

As Tom said, you need just a new project (once you are done), make it SDR, copy and paste everything, and export. No need to duplicate media or libraries.

Advice needed for transcoding 4K HLG BT 2020 to Rec. 709 1080 P

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.